Bully Survivor Shares His Story

Published 03/17 2014 07:49PM

Updated 03/18 2014 08:17AM

On March 17, 1994, Shane Jeffreys had just gotten out of gym class at Paulding High School. The sophomore was standing in the locker room when a bully attacked him. It was a blow so severe, it nearly ended his life.
Shane had a skull fracture, a ruptured artery and a large blood clot in his brain.

"I slipped into a coma for about a month. When I came out of the coma, I was the equivalent of a newborn child. I was unable to walk, unable to talk, unable to eat, unable to control my bodily functions. At 16 years old, I had to wear adult diapers," said Shane. 

Shane was in the hospital for six months and then spent another month in a nursing home for rehabilitation. Doctors thought he might not ever be able to walk or talk again.

Today Shane has a bachelors degree. He lives in Defiance with his girlfriend Maryann and his five year-old son Caden.

"I've turned my life around quite a bit, come a long ways. You know, God, the higher power, he kept me alive for a reason. And I truly think what I've started doing, and that the business I started is what I was meant to do from the beginning," said Shane.

Jeffreys has made it his mission to visit schools in Ohio and Indiana to speak with students about the consequences of bullying. He's even written a book called End it Now, detailing his recovery. 

Two decades later, the bully who hit Shane has yet to apologize.

"The bully who did this to me, he suffered no consequences. He got put on probation for a year, had to spend a weekend in a juvenile detention center," said Shane.

Shane tells WFFT he will forgive the bully if he apologizes. WFFT reached out to the man for comment, but so far, no response.

For more on Shane's story or to contact him you can visit his website: www.hatesnotcool.com
His book End it Now sells for $15. 

Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.